Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Helicolenus percoides (Red gurnard perch)
- Scientific Name: Helicolenus percoides
- Habitat: Most commonly found around the coast of N.Z. on rocky reefs from 5 â€“ 100 metres
- Temperament: Predatory if it fits in its mouth it will be eaten.
- Tank Age/Maturity: 300 litres and at least six months
- Diet: Eats fish and invertebrates that will fit into its large mouth. Hard to wean on to frozen or dead food as its hunting tactic is to lie motionless on the bottom and wait for food to pass by
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: Live foods until acclimatised. Be very careful when handling as these fish have toxins in their fin spines which can be very painful for hours if you are spiked
- Size: 47cm
- Marine Stage: N/A