Goatfish, Red Mullet
Can easily be identified by the twin barbells on its chin. These are used to sift in the sand to find prey. Has the ability to make quick changes of colour and pattern – sometimes brilliant red or silver with a darker red stripe on the lateral line.
Both dorsal fins are erect.
- Scientific Name: Upeneichtys Lineatus
- Habitat: Found inshore, near rocky reefs and sandy bottoms to 60m. Usually in small groups seldom more than 2 metres above the bottom
- Temperament: A peaceful fish in a mixed tank
- Tank Age/Maturity: 400 litres and at least six months
- Diet: Newly caught fish need live food but after settling in tank they eat everything from flake food to mysid shrimp, partial to prawns
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: A very timid fish when newly caught, easily pushed off food
- Endemic: N/A
- Size: 30cm