Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Rock Cod, Bearded Cod
The Rock Cod is yellow-grey to red-brown with white fin margins. It has an eel shaped body which is covered with tiny cycloid scales. There is a barbel on the chin and juvenile fish are black in colour.
- Scientific Name: Lotella rhacinus
- Habitat: They are found around the coastline It is usually seen in caves, in bays and coastal reefs, depth range 10 - 90 m
- Temperament: Predatory if it fits in its mouth it will be eaten.
- Tank Age/Maturity: 400 litres preferably larger at least 3 months old.
- Diet: Readily accept all foods both live and frozen Pods, mysid, raw mussel, prawn and meaty foods.
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: As they are cave dwellers nooks and crannies should be provided. Seem to do well with all fish so long as they donâ€™t fit in its mouth.