Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
The body colour is grey-brown with a white stomach and irregular blackish patches on the back and sides and the head is large and bony and the body is long, tapered and covered in spines. When excited it inflates with water to the size of a small football.
This fish is poisonous to eat as it contains the powerful nerve toxin tetrodotoxin (TTX) in its skin and intestines.
- Scientific Name: Allomycterus jaculiferus
- Habitat: Usually found offshore around the North Island of N.Z. over reefs and sandy bottoms to 50m. less common in the South Island
- Temperament: Peaceful
- Tank Age/Maturity: 400 litres preferably larger at least 3 months old.
- Diet: Feeds on molluscs, crustaceans and echinoderms, so readily accept all meaty foods.
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: Good clean water, swimming space and hard food like crabs or molluscs to help trim their teeth.
- Size: 60cm