White fish with several black vertical stripes on body, rubbery lips and large pectoral fins. Weighs up to 3kgs.
- Scientific Name: Goniistius spectabilis
- Habitat: Usually found offshore around the North Island of N.Z. over reefs and sandy bottoms to 50m. Juvenile fish can be caught in shallow water amongst rocks and weed, from December to March.
- Temperament: Territorial even as juveniles with own species.
- Tank Age/Maturity: 100 litres but these guys ultimately will need 1,000 litres plus.
- Diet: Feeds on molluscs, crustaceans etc, so readily accept all meaty foods.
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: Good clean water, swimming space, as they are a quota fish they have a minimum legal size so need a large tank. Territorial with own species even as a juvenile.
- Size: 60cm