Body slender; head large, bony; Reddish to greyish brown above, pale below; fan-like pectoral fins green with blue spots, grows to 50 cm.
- Scientific Name: Chelidonichthys kumu
- Habitat: Found around N.Z. coast Usually on soft bottoms in offshore waters around New Zealand, up to 200 m.
- Temperament: Predatory if it fits in its mouth it will be eaten.
- Tank Age/Maturity: 400 litres preferably larger at least 3 months old.
- Diet: Feeds mainly on small crustaceans, fish and invertebrates. Will eat anything you feed it once acclimatised
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: Need room and open spaces on tank floor to swim, best on a sandy bottom.
- Size: 50cm