Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Body orangey brown with variegated markings, white stripe on forehead. The body is flattened to resemble a piece of seaweed. Grows to 10.5 cm.
- Scientific Name: Ericentrus rubrus
- Habitat: Usually found inhabiting harbours and sheltered coastlines amongst seaweeds around rocky areas in fairly shallow water, Occurs in rock pools and subtidal area down to 30 m. Usually found living on brown algae (Carpophyllumand Cystophora).Â
- Temperament: Peaceful, Easy to keep in a mature system if you can supply live foods.
- Tank Age/Maturity: 100 litres At least six months old Preferably longer to establish a Pd population
- Diet: They need live food as they feed on small crustaceans, such as amphipods, in the aquarium they can be fed on live mysid Shrimp, mosquito wrigglers, daphnia and whiteworms (very fatty) and hatched brineshrimp.
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: Weedfish should only be kept in a mature, cycled marine aquarium. Their tank must have gentle to moderate currents for them as they are not strong swimmers and to enable them to be able to feed properly. Very hard to get to accept frozen foods,Â Easily out competed for food by faster fish, does well with other Weed fish, pipefish and seahorses.
- Size: 10.5cm