Diamond shaped fish with brown leathery skin and extendable trigger above dorsal fin. Can change colours in camouflage patterning depending on the mood.
- Scientific Name: Parika scaber
- Habitat: The Leatherjacket can be found as youngsters around weed in shallow water from November onwards. Larger fish can be caught by line around most N.Z. waters
- Temperament: Quite a peaceful fish in a mixed tank. Very easily tamed, but can nip if food not coming fast enough.
- Tank Age/Maturity: At least 6 months old and preferably 600 litres, when caught as 2.5cm youngsters can attain 10cm+ in their first year.
- Diet: Eats everything from flake food to mysid, partial to shellfish.
- Threatened Species: N/A
- Special Requirements: If chased in tank can wedge itself in rockwork by extending its trigger, will usually release if left alone. will eat sponges and invertebrates owing to their teeth arrangement.
- Endemic: N/A
- Size: 35cm