- Scientific Name: Hippuris vulgaris
- Origin: Europe, Asia, North America
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Marginal erect/tall
- Taxonomy: L.
- Presence: Not known to be in NZ
- Habitat: Shallow waters of streams, ponds and lakes
- Notes: Potentially a major weed in New Zealand
- Propagation: Vegetative growth and seed set
- Features: Mare's tail is identified by unbranched stems with abundant whorled leaves that extend like green bottlebrush from the water surface, and inconspicuous flowers. Emergent leaves are dark green stiff and small, while submerged leaves are softer, paler and up to ca 5 cm long and 3cm wide, in whorls of up to 30 leaves.
- Source: TIFBIS