- Scientific Name: Stratiotes aloides
- Origin: Europe and central Asia
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Free-floating
- Taxonomy: L.
- Presence: Not known to be in NZ
- Habitat: Still, stagnant or low flow waters, ponds and swamps.
- Notes: Potentially a major weed in New Zealand
- Propagation: Vegetative reproduction, rarely by seed
- Features: Perennial plant that is submerged in winter, floating at the water surface in warm months to flower. Leaves are in a rosette, linear to lanceolate, rigid, with a serrate margin. Plants are dioecious, female inflorescence are solitary or rarely 2 flowers, with green sepals and white petals.
- Source: TIFBIS