Bur-reed, branched bur-reed
- Scientific Name: Sparganium erectum
- Origin: Southwestern temperate Asia, Europe, Morocco, Australia
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Marginal erect/tall
- Taxonomy: L.
- Presence: Not known to be in NZ
- Habitat: Still or slow flowing water, margins fo water bodies.
- Notes: Potentially a major weed in New Zealand
- Propagation: Mainly vegetative spread, including rhizomes. Detached rhizomes and plants
- Features: Emergent, deciduous, perennial with strap like leaves that are triangular in cross section. The monoecious white flowes are compacted racemes, borne on branched flowering stems. Fruit are balls of green spiny capsules.
- Source: TIFBIS