Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Unwanted Organism, National Pest Plant Accord
- Scientific Name: Sagittaria platyphylla
- Origin: Native to North America
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Marginal erect/tall
- Taxonomy: (Engelmann) Smith
- Presence: Locally naturalised, first record from North Shore, Auckland in 1989.
- Habitat: Still and slow flowing water bodies and wetlands.
- Temperature (°C): 15 - 25
- pH range: 7.2 - 8.0
- Hardness (ppm): 100 - 200
- Light: Medium
- Height: 200 - 500mm
- Difficulty: Less Demanding
- Notes: Problem in still and flowing water bodies, massive seed output, therefore important to attempt early eradication. A major irrigation weed in Victoria. A swamp plant 20 - 50cm tall from the Mississippi River valley.Submerged leaves as illustrated are 10 - 25cm long & up to 3cm wide relatively thick & turgent & prone to snap (like celery). Emerged leaves are oval to heart-shaped never arrow-shaped.
- Propagation: Spreads by water dispersed seed, rhizomes, and tubers. Also deliberate planting
- Features: Emergent perennial herb. Submerged leaves are strap-shaped, 10-50 cm long and 3 cm wide with clearly visible longitudinal veins. Leaves above the water have a long petiole (about 40 cm) which is triangular in cross section and a lance-shaped leaf blade. Flowers are white with 3 petals and about 6 cm across. Tubers form on rhizomes.
- Source: TIFBIS
- Regional: Regional Pest Management Strategy: AUK, MWT, WGN, WKO.