Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Notifiable Organism, Unwanted Organism, National Pest Plant Accord
- Scientific Name: Pistia stratiotes
- Origin: South America
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Free-floating
- Taxonomy: L.
- Presence: Nationally eradicated, first record from Tauranga in 1975
- Habitat: Still water bodies in warm areas
- Temperature (°C): 20 - 28
- pH range: 6.5 - 7.2
- Hardness (ppm): 30 - 200
- Light: Strong
- Height: 100 - 150mm
- Difficulty: Easy
- Notes: A major weed in many warm temperate and tropical countries. Light green lettuce-like foliage that floats on the water's surface.
- Propagation: Older stolons between individual plants decay to release young plants. Also spreads by seed
- Features: Free floating perennial herb. Plants are stoloniferous with daughter plants often attached. Leaves are velvety hairy, pale yellow-green, often with a spongy thickened base. Roots are long and finely divided. Flowers are small (about 1 cm long), arranged as a spike enclosed by a hairy green bract.
- Source: TIFBIS
- Regional: Regional Pest Management Strategy: AUK.