Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Unwanted Organism, National Pest Plant Accord
Mexican water lily
- Scientific Name: Nymphaea mexicana
- Origin: Native to Southern US and Mexico
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Floating-leaved
- Taxonomy: Zucc.
- Presence: Locally naturalised, first record from Lake Ohakuri, Waikato in 1982
- Habitat: Still and slow flowing water bodies
- Notes: Problem in still water bodies, much more so than N. alba and other ornamental water lilies, but poor dispersal capacity has limited spread.
- Propagation: Rhizomes, tubers, and seed, deliberate plantings
- Features: Stout erect rhizome with creeping stolons, often ending with distinctive ?brood-bodies? which look like miniature hands of bananas. Leaves are almost round to elliptical in shape, with a deep sinus. Leaves are up to 20 cm across, green or pink on the lower surface, and with brown blotches on the upper surface. Flower is yellow and up to 15 cm across. New Zealand plants are likely to be of hybrid origin, but have the characters of the parent species.
- Source: TIFBIS
- Regional: Regional Pest Management Strategy: AUK, WKO.