Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Notifiable Organism, Unwanted Organism, National Pest Plant Accord
yellow water lily, brandy bottle
- Scientific Name: Nuphar lutea
- Origin: Native to Eurasia and northern Africa
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Floating-leaved
- Taxonomy: (L.) Sm.
- Presence: Two field sites targeted for eradication, first record from Horseshoe Lake, Hawkes Bay in 1975
- Habitat: Still and slow flowing water bodies
- pH range: 6.8 - 7.0
- Hardness (ppm): 50 - 80
- Light: Strong
- Height: 100 - 300mm
- Difficulty: Less Demanding
- Notes: Problem in still water bodies, poor dispersal capacity has limited spread. Submerged leaves in rosettes are light green and thinly membranous and transparent deeply cordate 10 - 30cm long and wide. A young rhizome may live for a few years. The formation of floating leaves is inhibited by a poor planting medium. Requires good light.
- Propagation: Rhizome fragments and seed
- Features: Stout spongy, tuberous rhizome that is up to 10 cm across. The floating leaf is ovate, with entire leaf margins, a deep sinus, and up to 30 cm long. The submerged leaf is very thin and lettuce-like. Flower is golden yellow with 6 petals and up to 6 cm across with a strong alcoholic aroma. The flower is held above the water surface by a stout stalk.
- Source: TIFBIS
- Regional: Regional Pest Management Strategy: HKB, AUK.