Databases compiled from the Ministry of Primary Industries list of Tropical fish allowed to be imported into New Zealand.
Freshwater Fish A toH. Freshwater Fish I to Z. Tropical Marine Fish .
Killifish on list Marine Invertebrates. Exotic Reptiles and Amphibians
Unwanted Organism, National Pest Plant Accord
- Scientific Name: Lagarosiphon major
- Origin: Introduced plant. Native to Africa
- Type: Weed
- Plant Life-form Type: Submerged
- Taxonomy: (Ridley) Moss ex Wager
- Presence: Widely naturalised in North Island and lowland northern and eastern South island, rare in Westland and upland South island, first record from Waiwhetu Stream, Wellington in 1950
- Habitat: Moderately fast flowing to still water bodies
- Temperature (°C): 15 - 25
- pH range: 6.0 - 8.0
- Hardness (ppm): 30 - 200
- Light: Medium
- Height: 2000mm
- Difficulty: Easy
- Notes: Major impacts on indigenous plant biodiversity and recreation. No longer allowed as a pond plant or in coldwater tanks. A pest plant. This is one of 4 plants sometimes sold as OXYGEN WEED. A big problem in lake Taupo and the Waikato river.
- Propagation: New plants develop from stem fragments. There is no seed production in New Zealand, with only the female plants of this species being present here
- Features: Leaves are alternate and curved downwards and 6-20 mm long. Stems are slender, brittle, and much branched.
- Source: TIFBIS
- Regional: Regional Pest Management Strategy: BOP*, OTA*, MWT, NSN/TAS, STL, AUK, CAN, HKB, MBH, TKI, WTC.