feeding prawns to troppies

Tillie

Just wondering you can do this? I'm wanting to give my fishies a varied diet, but obviously don't want to do anything to potentially harm them! I would grate finely a frozen prawn. Any other suggestions for a varied diet? Veges/meat?

depends on what fish your keeping really. the beefheart recipe is really good for discus, oscars etc while you could probably make up a real tasty vegie mix if you had vegie fish etc. i love homemade foods, theyre cheap, easy to make and are frozen so they last quite a while and you know exactly what is going into your fishies tummies.

prawns are totally ok to feed, obviously shell them first :lol: my O goes nuts over them but most of my other fish are too small to dig in (i cant really be bothered cutting them up, im mean lol)

I keep shelled, frozen shrimps or prawns in my freezer. (They're way cheaper to buy at the supermarket than at a pet shop.)

At feeding time I thaw one or two out in some tank water, then bury them in the gravel! My clown loaches go nuts digging around for them, then they drag them all over the tank with all the other fish chasing after.

Personally I never cut them up or grate them. The fish seem to cope just fine.

because i keep oscars and discus (only ones i will make food for specifically, the other fish will eat this too though) i tend to find it harder to keep alot of different foods so i mix them all up. heres the base recipe for my oscars beefheart- http://www.theoscarspot.com/smf/index.p ... 062.0.html

i sort of followed it :lol: this batch has beefheart, a small amount of liver, shrimps, cichlid pellets, shelled frozen peas (a fair amount cause oscars are prone to constipation :o ), spinach, geletine to bind, garlic and possibly some other stuff i found lying around that frank would eat. chuck it all in a food processor and bam! yummy dinner :lol:

heres a discus recipe- http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=24193

its quite alot more indepth, note the baby food and womens vitamins they add lol.

its not hard to chuck something together, do some research on what are common favs of your fish and whats good for them and mix it up, its really cheap too! garlic is a great thing to put in too, it helps with the fishies immune system and apparently its really tasty for them, alot of people will soak foods in garlic to try get fussy fish to eat apparently. i crush my own cloves up