Heating Breeding Tanks

Tsarmina

i have recently purchased 6 little tanks. approx 230x175x175mm. they all differ slightly. total length (all 6 side by side) 1380mm.

we have been able to set up the airation, that was the easy part, but we are having some issues with the heating.

it's not cost effective to put a heater in each tank, and i'd be lucky to find any small enough :P i also do have the plug space for 6 of them.

any idea for heating them??

also hoping to avoid cutting holes in any of them.

thanks

Colleen

go down to your local garden centre. They often use heating pads for under the seedling trays. I have seen them down at our garden centre and they look like water bed heaters. I don't know the price or the actual size of them. But its a place to start.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alan doesn't that equal 48 tanks? 16 x 3.

Tsarmania, I just put a 45x20x20cm tank in the hot water cupboard with glowlight tetra fry in it. It heats the water there to a nice consistent 27-28degrees celsious. Nice cheap option too.

Yipee, someone does read what I post.

Just wondered.

Sorry about that,

the 16 is correct, the 64 is also correct, just that there is 4 rows of tanks.

The heater pads are DIY ones using softboard, electical wire,(I use salvaged electric blanket wire), thermostat, some jointers, or if you know a sparkie that can weld the wires and shrinkwrap it, vinyl for covering the lot, a staplegun with stapes, and there you have it.

As this is dealing with 240 volts, it is imperative that you know what you are doing on the electrical side, or have a friend that does.

Caryl I think, has an article on these boards, as Grant has made them.

Alan 104

I had some made at Argus heating 455 St Asaph Street Christchurch 8001. I thought they were a reasonable price. I bought expensive digital thermostats and a week later someone was offering the cheaper ones on this site. You will need to tell them the size and the number of watts you will require. Some of the electrically aware members could advise. You need to have the same volume of water in each tank to keep the temperature even or you can vary the temperature by altering the water volume, more water --lower temperature.

( If you want the phone PM the poster, Mod Alan)

Tsamina

electical wire,(I use salvaged electric blanket wire), thermostat, some jointers,

I think the list I put up was everything you need for the job.

It's just asembling them in the correct order.

Alan 104

• 4 weeks later...
I had some made at Argus heating 455 St Asaph Street Christchurch 8001. .

I thought we weren't allowed to put addresses and phone numbers on here??? And don't tell me that because it's a business that it's allowed.

(Thanks for pointing that out Kookie, Mod Alan.)

I think we have been down this road before Kookie... and "no".. I don't know why the Port Nick Glass details were removed.. but the "Guidelines" say..

We ask that you post no personal information (real name, e-mail, etc…) concerning another user without that person’s express written permission.

Looks pretty reasonable.. and it seems to me that it is more concerned about "Members" than companies that can be found in the phone books or on the net... (Note the word USER)

OK..

Member "Mighty Man" (fictitious example).. has not posted on here for ages.. but you.. (or someone).. happens to know his "true name and details"

Now saying on the open forum that ..

"Oh yep.. MM.. His name is Jim and he lives at Somename St in Papakura, and you can contact him on.. XXXXXXX... and you can email hin on... etc etc.."

Is DEFINITELY against the rules.

I don't think the staff in general are going to jump on your head for pointing out a certain company where you can buy a certain fish related product.. provided it is just brief details... no phone or email details.

Many members use an "alias" because they want a certain degree of privacy.

Most companies want the opposite and don't have a "Guess my name" ad in the Yellow Pages :)

Bill.