: Unidentified plant-like growing thing

Dark

A short while ago my fluval 404 was not running all that smoothly, so i took it apart for servicing.

I did find a couple of hundred snails that were breeding in there (none in the main tank, only in the filter, the white bumpy things in the picture are their egg clusters...)

more interestingly though, i found this:

img_1393_2sm.jpg

click image for larger shot (1600x1200)

Any ideas?

the snails i do keep - the knife fish love them

Although at the speed they are starting to multiply i think you'll be able to have some :)

the plant, i think is perhaps some kind of seaweed, although i'm stumped because it is growing in a fresh water tank!

tim: i can supply you with a sample if you are interested in taking a closer look.

now, i know many of you believe that i am breeding triffids, and i must stress that there is no undue panic required. Of course i'm not in a position to confirm, nor deny, that i am breeding triffids, but rest assured that their day will come, yes my pretties... one day...

hey MA, ltns.

I'm wondering if it came with..

hang on, i gave you duck weed? i didn't even have any myself! :lol:

na, i'm wondering if it is from the gravel we picked up. I would think that there is also a fair amount of salt in the gravel left over from our washing attempts which might be enough for it to survive.

as for your duckweed, i have a tank full of duckweed cures that i'm happy to lend you :P