Resignation by Alan

minchton

I really thought by now that someone better at words than me would have had something to say about the resignation of the president of the killie fish Assn.

:evil:

Had the resignation been due to personal reasons this would not have been a problem. But no this resignation is due to the small mindedness of some killie members who are quite willing to sit back and do nothing and then when something is done spend their idle time carping about what has been done, because it was not to their satisfaction.

Alan over the years has done a lot to help not only the NZKA but all fish keepers as well. The moaners are conspicuous by their lack of identity.

As the President of Taps I have found that on the odd occasion it is necesary to make a decision without consultation because of the urgency of the matter and the difficulty on always being able to make immediate contact. As this is not a common happening I always receive support from the Club members as they know that what has been done is for the overall benefit of all members.

For those of you members of NZKA who have now turned the clock way back on the future of Killies in NZ I suggest you look closely at your motives and consider the damage you have done to those members who would have had a chance of new breeds in the future if you had not come along and stuffed it up.

I personally will miss Alan's wit and dedication to the cause at Conference. I trust you complainers are going to take his place and bring many years of experience to Conference.

BRING BACK ALAN :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I have replied to Billany, thanks for asking.

It is really an internal matter of the NZKA

KK I signed up three that night, and I'm waiting for Nick to send in his rego form and the fee, then thaat will be four. Kewl. I'll still be around to offer help where I can.

I really enjoyed talking to the Waikato AS that Sunday evening.

No use having lived a fishy life without sharing it Jude, part of the enjoyment of it, the hobby.

Thanks Wok, appreciated your email too.

I'd like to thank those NZKA members who have rung me and also those of you who have emailed me and offered their support.

It has been a great up-lift for me.

Ta

Alan

for ever NZKA 104

basically as I understand it Alan took on the resposibility of importing some Killies which were to be distributed among members. Due to a problem with the importing a lot less number than expected finaly arrived.

Rather than split these few fish among a number of members and greatly increasing the possible number of losses Alan took it upon himself (on behalf of NZKA) to restrict the distribution to 2 members who were recognised as top breeders. This was in the hope that these fish would breed and then become available to all.

It appears that this has got up the nose of some people who have been very vocal in decrying the decision and the fact that they didn't get any of this limited supply and now object to NZKA funds being used for the purpose.

As I said when I started this post I have NO doubt that Alan was doing what was best for NZKA as a whole and unless these other people wish to put the time and effort into this project that Alan has "Keep your mouth firmly closed"

Alan has been left out of pocket on this excercise and the only thanks he gets is unjustified criticism.

I understand that these Killies are now breeding and will be available to other members in the near future.

Make a point of it here Mitch, thanks too for you support, awsome.

Yes those fish, or some of them have increased their numbers, and yes members will be able to obtain some once we get the numbers up.

But guess what, not ALL members will be getting Xmas cards from this area, or young fish.

Alan 104

I think this is a very sad sad thing. I understand Alans reasons and think that the others that got their nickers in a twist should of sat back and thought about it properly. If they had limited numbers then what was wrong with breeding them and then giving some of the eggs/bubbas out that way. Some times people are just to selfish to realise the hurt they are causing others.

So sorry that it came to that Alan. Eventually when I manage to get Killies to the bottom of the south island I will be hitting you up for lots of info :D hehe

Wish you well.

PeneJane

Since, as far as I could tell, Alan was the only member actually doing anything for the NZKA, I shudder to think what will happen to the club now.

There is always someone willing to complain when things have not gone the way they wanted but I bet they had not been doing anything to improve the killie numbers in NZ, unlike Alan.

Having looked at the situation from an outsiders point of view, I can't see how he could have acted any other way nor distributed the fish in a better manner.

I presume the complainer is now willing to take on the job of president and editor? I look forward with interest to the next NZKA newsletter.

I must state here that what EJ and myself did to obtain and organise the fish for the club was out of line as ALL the com. were not involved.

Unconstitutional, but time and speed were the essence in my opinion.

I admitted that this was an error of judgement, but THEY didn't want a bar of it.

Things just got worsre from then on.

Caryl, as a I read the last paragraph of your post, a wry smile creases my face.

mmmmmm

Alan

NZKA 104

I'm not a Killie keeper these days, but I certainly know that when this forum for Killies first started there were very few posts for the simple reason there were very few people who actually kept Killies.

Through the efforts of Alan and certain others the situation has changed in leaps and bounds, with increased membership into the NZKA and the boost in interest in thse wonderful fish.

Alan rightfully deserves the position he has held through his total dedication to the species and the improvement of making the rarer species available to members of the NZKA.

Let's face it guys... the NZKA was DEAD until Alan took up the position, and it seems from the post that Mitch made that the decision that Alan made was "not" a self motivated one for self gain... but for the benefit of the Killie society in general.. but if those at fault can't see this, then they should find somewhere else to air their grievances.

Reconsider Alan...

You built a wall that has a few crumbling bricks.. but the ones that are still intact are enough to to support your cause for many years to come.

Bill.

Alan, your post brings back memories (I hope it is not the name) When we got going in Christchurch all those years ago I had a fishhouse so offered to obtain fish from the North Island. I bought books so people could see pics and place orders I bought a good selection then many people said "I don't want that, its not like I thought and I got stuck with about 6 varieties I had not planned on. When I figured out how to breed them they all wanted them cheap. It must be either the name or the killies. I wish you well, hang in there.

It is a great shame that such a dedicated president has been forced to resign due to a misjudgement bringing old feuds to the surface. I don't know who will take over the position now, but I do know that there is nobody else in the club who would perform that duty with as much enthusiasm and dedication as Alan has shown.

Although there is no doubt that a mistake was made and the whole club should have made a collective decision on this issue, Alan has acknowledged this mistake. It is highly likely that the NZKA as a whole would have reached a similar decision in any case.

As long as the breeders who did receive fish donate a decent proportion of the first few batches of offspring, how much would really be lost? In the event of very few fish being available, I know I would prefer a stake in an experienced breeder's fry than a couple of adults of my own.

Unfortunately small club politics have forced the resignation of the one person who could actually have improved the club. These undercurrents of conflict have been around for quite some time. This tendency to quarreling was a major part of my decision not to re-join the NZKA earlier this year.

Good luck Alan

Hey Mystic, it won't be until I'm in my box that I am out of the NZKA.

Don't let me, not being a figure head, let that form an opinion of the NZKA.

Make no mistake about it, there are about 33 great members, as far as I'm concerned, in the club.

I even had one write to me yesterday, and say that they don't have killies but stay in it to help support the club in it's promotion of a very diverse type of fish and it's endeavours to import them into NZ for the hobby.

I have likened myself as a parachute, ready to be opened if the need arises, for the NZKA.

So do you and Steve want that rego form sent??

You get better quickly, ok.

Alan

NZKA104

hey there Alan, have not met you but certainly can understand your actions re resignation.For what its worth don't.It's clowns who go around bagging other people who ultimately will be the demise of our hobby.We have already lost far to many species in this country to afford losing anymore.When any species is in short supply then they need to be given the oppurtunity to be bred on, not spread thinly on the ground so that ultimately others mayend up enjoying them.Greed and ego's need to be put aside for the sake of all who enjoy and partake in this hobby-way of life or we may find that one day it wont be there.If the behaviours of our government agencies are anything to go by ,it will only become harder to aquire species and unless we end up propogating what we can get whilst we have the opportunity will the hobby survive. Hang on in there we all need the likes of yourself.And yes I would like to join NZKA if you can forward me details please.

It pains me to see the NZKA, or any other club, go to the wall for the want of a person dedicated to make the decision that he did, and the whingers only have themselves to blame if that club closes.

Things are done in clubs by it's members specifically for the general good of that club and it's members. I see Alans actions as no different.

In any venture time is a major pressing factor, as is cost both to the person and the club as a whole.

Since Resigning as FNZAS Secretary in 1975 I have seen numerous clubs either shut down or loose members to the point of existence only in name. (Look at the membership numbers of the clubs in Auckland alone).

Alan dont give it up; take heart in the fact that you had everyones interests at heart, and that the "Aquatic Hobby" Followers in NZ need you.

For you to resign now is tantamount to admitting defeat by some faceless, and probably nameless incompetent moron.

Stand tall ALAN, withdraw your resignation, the mainstrean hobbyists are all behind you. Good Luck.

:hail::hail::hail:

:(:(:(

WHAT THE ....

I turn my back two minutes and not look at the site and all hell breaks loose!!!

Silly stuff by the sounds of things here, but then what do I know? :(

Hope this is not the end of killies in NZ just as I am learning from all the great guys in here.

Can you boys make up and we can all continue to play nicely again?

Werner

NZKA 264

It's not silly when you know the ins and outs of it Werner.

I'm still waiting for a reply to several letters I have written to the other committee members.

I'm still here Werner, and if I have anything to do with it the NZKA will not disappear from the NZ scene.

Alan

NZKA 104