Fish Study

Warren

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could/should have started a thread where after submitting we wrote down common name/scientific name of what we'd submitted. That way we could keep each other up to date rather than relying on one person. How does that sound?

how come the list hasnt been updated?

i just wasted a load of ink and my time doing to sheets to find out theve already been done but it never said it on the list that they had been done

It's simple, - I don't have the form or have not been advised the species has been done. As most people have left it to the last minute it's impossible for me to keep the list up to date. There are about 20 species not marked off yet as they arrived yesterday but other than that we're pretty current. I know there's another 100 or so forms elsewhere, but know not what species or where they are yet.

Creating your own list as a group of posts won't acheive much as you'll have to wade through a huge number of unordered species just to see if it's done.

What species have you done Anthony? I'd be very interested in getting the sheets since you've done them anyway. It all helps. Send them in please...

just finished working through my entries with the help of some friends.

seems so few when compared to 4000+ but every little bit counts!

anyway, i would like to publicly thank our breeding co-ordinator, Mr Kevin Rowe for helping me think, Chris Downs and his library (just you hope you get those books back) my flatmates for their support and putting up with no dining room for about 3 days (yes, three days) and a giant slice of kudos to Graeme from The Lower Hutt Pet Centre for letting me take photos and taking the time to sign all those pieces of paper.

I would also like to publicly scathe another pet store in the lower hutt region for refusing to help out, but I won't, and I really hope that the 30+ species that I was not allowed to document are being supplied by others.

And I'll publicly frown, yes... FROWN, at anyone I find with a fish that was not registered by anyone.

I was talking to a client on Thursday who was getting slightly annoyed that I cancelled a meeting to take pictures of fish. As I explained to him; I would rather take time off now and risk loosing a client than take the time off later and not have anything to do.

I really hope y'all took that into account when thinking 'everyone else has that fish, someone else will take a photo of it' - heck, I must have taken 10 photos of 'electric yellow cichlids' (and I submitted them ALL :P)

Good luck y'all and fingers crossed i'm not the only nutter out here... :D

I got 22 forms done and handed in to Kevin for checking for book references then he sent them to warren(I hope...) as he has lots of books and I didn't. I know for a fact that some of the fish I have done have been done by others, but I'd rather spend 20 mins filling the form and taking a picture of a fish and it not being used than no form being submitted for a fish that I like and may want again only to find its no longer available.

The call was put out over 3 months ago to get this done, it took me a whole 3-4 hrs to do those 22, thats equivalent of 90secs per day spent doing it, so no excuses for not having the time etc, if you sat down for 4 hrs total watching the TV in the last 3 months, then you had the time to do your fish.

There are those out there who have family, full time jobs, disgruntled cats, online computer game addictions and Family Guy cartoons on DVD to watch and they still managed to get their share done. :)

To Dark & MA ! :hail::bow::bow::hail:

THANK YOU Both, you both did your part and more to help i could not agree more with you chris and imagine if all 1400 members here had done the same as you two.

Only thing i can say chris is sorry i could not come taking the pictures with you when you rang but i was already at work, in place of a workmate that needed the day off to move house. you'll have to tell me on the QT which mean shop refused to help so we can avoid them or at leasy give them a real mean look next time :x

again THANKS TO YOU BOTH

yeah, na, the 'we are not willing to sign to anything unless we know the full extent of our obligations thereafter' excuse.

regardless of the evidence and reference material that i was so kind to present, and point to original copies of...

'we'll have to talk about it on monday'

'i've been trying to get you to do this for three weeks'

'well...'

'you do like having a job don't you?'

still, serves me right for not getting onto it earlier.

and kudos to all you late nighters ;) i've been getting to sleep around 5am recently after working on this...

How many forms have you got now Warren ?

I have 116 forms total.

I'm expecting quite a few from Kevin and I know of another 95 coming from someone else plus 75+ from some local people here. I have no idea how many Chris has.

At this stage I have no idea how many we'll get in total.

There's been a lot of work done by a few people, - the usual way things are these days. Thanks to these few people we may have a future of sorts in fishkeeping. We're still going to be way short of the total number we need...

There'll be a couple of late nights this week compiling the final results once I get all the forms in. Remember, Wednesday 15th Nov is the deadline. That's this Wednesday, three days from now...

To all those people who've done nothing, thanks a lot, - you'd better not complain if the range of fish available is somewhat diminished in the future. I don't care what your excuse is, I don't beleive you haven't found an hour or two to help out over the last three months.

Nine submissions on their way to you Warren.

Also, the 15th is Tuesday, not Wednesday. Wednesday is the 16th. Unless...wait....do we have ANOTHER YEAR?! lol I wish. So what is the date Warren? Maybe if MAF does have it wrong they'll have to give us longer.

Still working on it, - looks like we might get close to 500. A far cry from the 4200 species listsed and about 40% of the 1200 species allowed into the country now. Looks like we won't have as many fish in the future...

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. I know who you all are and the effort most of you put in, - it's been a very big job for some of you. It certainly won't go un appreciated...

As I know who has contributed to the study, anyone I see complaining about the lack of fish species availalbe in the future who's not on my list is going to get stomped on very quickly. There's nothing worse than a hypocrite!!

• 4 months later...

Hi

As above ..I told Warren that i found where Maf were quoting imported in the last 10 years was in fact not whats in Erma Standards put to Maf..And in fact was not correct for Maf to use that as time frame.

It actully said imported before a year like 1998 and month{ with out hunting for actual } that fish imported before that did not need new aproval.

With an agreement with both i have put forward hundreds of names that i have imported many years ago are just like what im importing right now and have good stocks..Apisto's , Pleco's ,In quarantine Altum Marble Angels just one of new items.

So there biggest problem is now that we all keep inporting under current permit from Maf and .spp is still covering most fish..So next year they might catch up but..?? who knows..There is still no word i have seen as to new permitted lists..

But a word of warming about our imports ...Fnzas members and Clubs need to start getting the moths out of wallets and support us a lot more or all could come to a sudden stop.. :x

Cheers Phill Collis :P