playhouse diy plans

cees

Really off topic. I'm in a diy mood and promised my 4 yr old daughter to build her a playhouse. Anyone here have good plans available for a decent size playhouse.? (at moment thinking about the 5 room, 2 story mansion but I'll settle for something I can put together in a weekend or 2).

Cees

Here's just one, but if you enter "diy playhouse" in your search engine there are heaps of them :)

Hi Bill,

thanks for that. I did that search before I posted here and yes, there are heaps of them. I posted here in the hope that someone might have some 'personal experience' building one. What works and what doesn't etc etc. A while ago I saw one (can't remember where) that was one and half storey high. Inside it had a small 'mezzanine' kids could climb on.

:oops: :oops: Sorry Caryl and Cees, just glanced at the post

Hi Caryl,

Here's just one, but if you enter "diy playhouse" in your search engine there are heaps of them

A few years back when my woodworking workshop was set up I was going to make these and dolls houses full time for resale.

Single or double sided laminated 10mm MDF was the material I was going to use, as at the time I could pick up 8X4 sheets for 5 to 10 bucks apiece. Ensure the edges are fully sealed and the stuff lasts for years.

I have two chook houses made from it that are over six years old.

There's a site somewhere in England that has plans you can print out, but I've lost the URL.

Try the furniture manufacturers that use MDF.

They have reject sheets and also sheets that were used to protect the main sheets in transit. These have a slight damage, but usually only from the packing straps.

A medioca (average) playhouse retail starts at around 400 dollars, and some go near to two thousand if you want a double storey with porch etc.

A car case is another method that can be quickly converted to a PH. They come in both ribbed metal shhet and plywood.

The suppliers of these also sell ply sheets, but are usually expensive.

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Hi

I agree with everything except the MDF. I built quite a few furniture with it. Straight as an arrow. Easy to machine. Hard on tools though. And dusty. In a nutshell, perfect material. But not for outside. If it is not 100% sealed, it will expand (getting thicker). It is definately for the outside where it is subjected to rain, moisture or even humidity. Sorry Bill.

Yours forever, your ever loving

John

Hi John,

The MDF I am referring to above is laminated on both sides, and provided the edges are sealed correctly, as mentioned above, the stuff lasts for years. Good quality exterior or marine ply is suitable.... at a cost, but even then invariably needs sealing. Any openings in the lamination will of course lead to swelling if used outside where it will be exposed to the weather.

My tools, which include a four foot lathe, routers, bandsaw, skilsaw, benchsaw, scroll saw and planes etc have worked thousands of metres of the stuff, and provided your tools are sharp, and of good quality, then you will have no probs.

Dust is a prob, but I have a vacuum I can attatch to most of my gear such as saws and routers.

You just didn't read the post John....

Bill said :

Single or double sided laminated 10mm MDF was the material I was going to use, as at the time I could pick up 8X4 sheets for 5 to 10 bucks apiece. Ensure the edges are fully sealed and the stuff lasts for years.

No probs :)

• 4 years later...