Suspected Swim Bladder

Fishboy1988

I have a fish that’s essentially lying and swimming on it’s side that looks slightly bent, making me think it’s an air bubble pulling it up, so it sounds like swim bladder issues? It still swims around when it has to, but it’s generally just lying there.

I’ve fed it peas the last two days but I was wondering if anybody has experienced this or if there’s anything else I could do to help it apart from feeding the peas? 

Thanks in advance. I can post videos if anyone needs a look.

Hi Caryl thank you for your reply. Video posted below: 

He tilts to the same side each time he swims and doesn’t seem to be able to balance. I’ve been feeding him peas and I’ve increased the water temperature as per instructions for constipation on the internet. He’s been like this for about 4 days. 
Water parameters are all fine. He was being extensively bullied by my Bristlenose as you’ve probably seen in my other post. He had flukes or worms about 6 weeks ago, but I treated them with Praziquantel. 

It is possible it was rammed in the side by the bristlenose and this did some damage. Is it otherwise able to feed? If so, because it looks otherwise fine, I would just leave it and see if it gets better over time. If it starts getting hassled by other fish then I would separate it.

5 minutes ago, Caryl said:

It is possible it was rammed in the side by the bristlenose and this did some damage. Is it otherwise able to feed? If so, because it looks otherwise fine, I would just leave it and see if it gets better over time. If it starts getting hassled by other fish then I would separate it.

Yeah he can eat when I drop food near him, but he’s generally staying pretty still. The other fish are all peaceful and leave him alone. I’ll keep an eye on him, thanks. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, Caryl said:

Keep us updated on how it's doing.

Ok well it’s a week on and he’s still on his side. He now has a small wound on the side where he’s been lying, I assume that’s from that side scraping on the substrate. He seems a bit more active today and is moving around the tank a little but I don’t know if that’s him getting better or him getting desperate. 
I guess I’m trying to figure out what a realistic time for him healing would be, or whether I need to bite the bullet and euthanise him?

Put him in a smaller container, with a smooth base and relatively shallow water and float it in the main tank. This means he does not have to move so much to get himself swimming and won't injure himself further when resting. I would hope increased activity indicated he was feeling better rather than more desperate. As long as he is eating well and does not appear to be stressed, other than lying on his side, I would not euthanise him.

It is impossible to say how long it takes to improve as, if it the result of injury, it may be permanent.

38 minutes ago, Caryl said:

Put him in a smaller container, with a smooth base and relatively shallow water and float it in the main tank. This means he does not have to move so much to get himself swimming and won't injure himself further when resting. I would hope increased activity indicated he was feeling better rather than more desperate. As long as he is eating well and does not appear to be stressed, other than lying on his side, I would not euthanise him.

It is impossible to say how long it takes to improve as, if it the result of injury, it may be permanent.

Ok thank, we'll try moving him and see if that helps.

I think he's a bit stressed, his mouth is constantly opening and closing. I'm not entirely sure if he's eating but i'll move him and see if he's ok.

1 hour ago, Caryl said:

I’ve put him in the below DIY hospital tank: 

It’s smooth bottomed and he has a heater and I’ve covered it to reduce stress. Do you think this will be ok? I was thinking I could switch out his water everyday since I don’t have another filter. Would this work? He seems more active so far. 

You will need to change the water daily. If you have a bit of plant to drop in there too as the total white might add to the stress. I don't think you need to cover it.

I have made temporary hospital tanks out of ice cream containers with holes and slits cut in it (as large as you can without the fish getting stuck in it, or smaller fish being able to swim into it) so the water can move through it then you don't need to do so many water changes. It would get clamped to the side of the main tank with a peg.