Wellington - After fish and plants

Kayego

Hello everyone,

After a while trying to entertain myself with my outdoor pond, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a tropical fish tank. 

It is already cycled and I have some fish, but I wanted to check if anyone has some of the things I’m after before heading to the lfs since a lot of times people breed or have extras that they don’t know what to do with. Happy to pay or trade.

I’m after:

- Neon and glowlight tetras

- female bristlenose plecos

- female guppies

- corydoras

- Bolivian Rams

- tank plants, (anubias, tiger lilies, duckweed, Java moss, or banana lilies would be awesome)

On 8/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, Caryl said:

I would hold off on the rams until the tank has matured, as that is what they prefer.

I would offer some Anubias but not keen to send at this time of year and don't trust the couriers at the moment, from a time-wise point of view, as I am in the South Island.

Thanks for the tip. How long should I wait for the tank to mature? I purchased the tank with all the substrate, plants, fish and mature filter material. I’m assuming the move will have affected the maturity of the bio filtration a bit. 

So far water parameters are still good, probably due to the very low stocking levels. 

You might be fine then but I have heard ram owners say (I have not kept them myself) an aquarium needs to be 6 - 12 months mature but as yours was already set-up, the 6 months should be fine. If everything seems stable at this point though, because it was already matured and is stocked lightly, you might get away with earlier.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, Caryl said:

You might be fine then but I have heard ram owners say (I have not kept them myself) an aquarium needs to be 6 - 12 months mature but as yours was already set-up, the 6 months should be fine. If everything seems stable at this point though, because it was already matured and is stocked lightly, you might get away with earlier.

I’ll wait for my tank to mature a bit more in that case. I’d be keen for some of your Anubias later in the year if you still have some  :)