Peppered Corydoras outside in nz?

ryanbuhler

Hey there I have an outside 20gallon tank with wcmm and was wondering if I could put in peppered corydoras in there?

the temp is usually at 20c but in the winter drops down to 10c.  I have read people (in nz) have keeped them in outdoor ponds through the winter and they have even breed rapidly some people have even had them survive with 2 inches of ice over the top!

I have heard peppered Cory’s actually like the cold. So what do you think?

thanks also are there any other hardy coldish Cory’s? Thanks

Haven't tried it myself but it looks like peppered corys are quite happy at lower temperatures.

It sounds like you are keen to have a variety of fish, other than goldfish, outside in unheated water. Can you put the pond under cover? Under the eaves of the house, on the sunny side of the property, anything to keep the temperature as high as possible over winter. Having the pond n the ground, rather than free standing on top, will help too. Some sort of covering to keep the heat in might help .

I have only ever kept semi tropical fish outside over summer months.

If the tank isn't going to get too cold then its a possibility.  Are you able to add a heater that is more able to heat to nearer 20?  What is the substrate of the tank as sand or very smooth pebbles are better for corydora to protect their barbules.  

• 2 weeks later...