Tank water not getting clear

Mieke7

We moved to the north island to the south island and decided to change from tropical fish to gold fish.  We cycled the new tank for 2 weeks.  Added food to help with the cycling and 3 weeks ago added fish. The amonia level remains high.  Some of the ornaments started spotting and I cleaned them. I did a 25% water change a few days ago and cleaned the filter. Added stress coat and vacummed the gravel.  Now the tank water is getting greener and greener.  I have stopped feeding and turned off the light for a day. There is 1 life plant in the tank, some ornaments and 2 fantail goldfish.  What can I do to get nice clear water? Some of the products they try to sell me are so expensive and staff contradicts when I ask (students I think)

• 3 weeks later...

Golfish produce a lot of waste as they are a lot chunkier than the average medium sized tropical. What size are the tank and fish? I'm assuming the fish are quite small.

A lot of that initial spotting should disappear as the tank matures.

With only 1 live plant, the algae (which is plant) has nothing to compete with it so it is lovng the extra nutrients. Add more plants but you are limited with goldfish as they rip everything up. I add oxygen weed I get from the local river. I wash it well first to make sure it doesn't have unwanted critters living in it then just drop it in to float. The goldfish will eat it too which is why I suggest you gather it from a local water source rather than buy it.

Stresscoat will do nothing to help the green water. At least the green is not harmful to the fish either, it is just unsightly. Keep doing regular water changes (25% daily for a week and see if that helps) but leave the filter to build up the good bacteria. Hopefully as the tank cycles the green water will slowly clear.

I assume there is no direct sunlight on the tank?

Don't start adding products, they usually aren't necessary.

• 3 months later...

Tap water is quite safe for humans, but it's not entirely true for your fish. As an aquarium owner, you shouldn't ignore our guide to making tap water fish safe. To treat harmful substances in water, such as chlorine, heavy metals, etc., I recommend using reverse osmosis. In addition to these substances, it is very likely that there are other harmful substances found in the water. Applying a balm is a necessity to get rid of this unwanted toxic substance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Mieke7 yo mate, i am new to here, i hope you have already sort out the wate quality.

What i suggest you is that removing the ornaments stuff from your tank, i dont think these stuff would need it, normally goldfish stay in a 'air tank' which mean only water. If you do like to put them in, you can put it back once your water clear.

Washing your filter media, change the water 1/2 starting build the nitrifying bacteria properly. remember no nitrifying bacteria = no clear water.

Hope it can helps😀