Advice about guppies

Alana

Hi,

I got my first guppies a couple of months ago. Two females arrived pregnant, and now I have around 20 6-week old fry and 20 1-week old fry. I’ve been doing as much research as I can, but I have two questions I can’t find answers to. I’m hoping someone here can help me out.

1. I’ve read that it’s good to fast the adults one day a week to prevent swim bladder issues. I’ve also read that fry need to eat several times every day. At what age is it okay for fry to be fasted for one day?

2. I recently put some spinach in the tank to try to catch some nuisance snails. The snails didn’t fall for it, but the guppies LOVED it. So I’d like to give them more veggies, but I’m worried about over feeding them. If I give them veggies should I not feed their usual pellets or flakes that day? Or if in addition, how frequently should I give them veggies? Just as a treat once a week, maybe?

Thank you so much for your help. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alana and welcome. Sorry for the late reply.

Guppies, generally speaking, don't get swim bladder issues. When raising fry it is good to feed little bts often. If you have them in an aquarium with lots of algae in it, they will be able to constantly graze as well but don't worry if you don't have excess algae.

I see no reason to fast fish for a day but I guess wait until the fry are aruond 1 month old. The only problem with excess feeding is fouling the water, you will not over feed the fish.

A lot of fish species love vegies but it needs to be a treat, unless they are specifically herbivorous only. Lettuce and peas are also enjoyed and my ancistrus love cucumber. I know someone who's oscar loved bananas!

What do you plan to do with the fry? Many pet shops won't take them these days (they have their own breeders) and you will quickly be over-run with guppies. They aren't celled the millions fish for nothing! It is all very well raising as many fry as you can but you need to have somewhere for them to go. Guppies are prolific breeders!

Hi Caryl, thanks so much for your reply.

I’m hoping to be able to sell or give away most of the baby guppies on TradeMe and Facebook.  I’m just waiting for them to show their colours.  My parents have a pond and I’m threatening to stock it with the left over guppies, even though they are happily living a pet-free life just now.  If worst comes to worst I’ll see if the guy I bought them from will take some off my hands.  And I’ll keep some of the prettier ones myself, although they all seem to be turning orange, my least favourite colour.  
I have a smaller 10 liter tank that I have now set up as a haram tank for the females, so hopefully they will stop having babies soon.  I’m no longer taking any special measures to save the babies from being eaten, but as the females have gotten used to having fry around, and as there are lots of plants and hiding places, most of them are surviving regardless.  Any other tips for rehoming?

Alana

Well, the guy at Animates yesterday suggested closing my ears to what they would be used for, and selling them to turtle owners... will try to find them loving homes first... they are small enough at the moment that I can still accommodate them all.