Treatment hole in the head

Fish_kid

One of my guppies developed symptoms of a parasite infection- weight loss, pale colour and white stringy feces. I treated him with 2x doses of Drontal and he improved, but now has developed a cavity in his face that looks like a small crater and matches photos of hole in the head disease. I read the recommended treatment is metronidazole, but I understand this is not available in NZ. Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to treat him?

• 3 weeks later...

I would be very surprised if your guppy had hole in the head. That is a disease usually found in oscars, discus and large cichlids. It does sound like the fish had some sort of internal parasite. Is it just the one fish or the whole tank infected? If it was only 1 fish I would separate it and just keep an eye on it to see if it healed itself as they often do. If it is otherwise now acting normally, gaining weight and eating then I would leave it without further treatment.

You are correct, metronidazone is not available in NZ (as far as I know).

The cavity may, or may not, improve. Like you sometimes get scars after an accident.