GBA white patches

Tussock

Hi, Relatively new here, but had fish for quite a while.

I noticed the other day my two GBA adults have white patches. It doesn’t seem to worry them and neither have changed their behaviour. So I guess just unsightly, does anyone know what it could be and what could be a possible cure? 

Certainly something outside of my experience currently.

I have tried treating for the usual suspects fungi and bacteria and there’s been no visible change. What else is there that could produce a blotch type result?

Let me know your thoughts as I’m stumped.

Cheers

Hi alanmin4304, good point.

Sorry for the delay replying, been having trouble getting them to pose long enough to take a couple, but they have so please see attached. I have circled the areas of concern.

Cheers

2.thumb.jpg.e6223cee42b3fd6ed41ac60b082464f6.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Tussock
Issues attaching the pics, jpeg would nice also

Hi Caryl,

Thanks for that, the male may be mostly down to his favourite hidey spot. An old brick. They are in different tanks but were both together for 3 months earlier in the year. The male is in with some Sterbai’s and a few guppies. The female with my Albino aeneus and one timid Angel, so I think fighting unlikely.

I have been carrying on with the reading, what do you think of “skin flukes” as a possibility? Not something I had heard of before the weekend.

I doubt it is skin flukes. The fish would be trying to scratch itself on objects all the time. It would be producing excess mucus in an attempt to dislofge the flukes and have reddened skin. Flukes tend to be around the gills.

The male could be damaging his skin as he dives in and out of the hole in the brick. The female may have been damaged when in with him and is now shedding old, damaged parts as the new growth comes in. Did you know Ancistrus do not have scales like other fish? They have an exoskeleton. This makes them vulnerable to many antibiotics, salt and other chemicals. Have you been adding anything to the water that would fall into those categories?

Hi Caryl,

Thanks for reply, the only thing I add as they are both in with Cory’s is declorinator, and then only in small amounts as I prefer the aging method for water.

The reason they were both together was in lockdown, I medicated them together to try to eliminate the issue. But that was now 6 months or so ago since they were seperated again. No big surprised they used the opportunity to spawn, which is how I have come to the conclusion its a parasite. As none of the fry exihibited the issue until they hit 6cm or so.

In all my research and reading I didn’t see the exoskelton fact, that explains alot as they sure are tough little buggers 😮. So thanks for that, the more information the better.

I have always found the gold Ancistrus less hardy with fewer fry but that might just be mine. We don't have chlorine in the water so i don't know if dechlorinator affects them. I am more inclined to think it is new scales growing under older, damaged ones but don't quote me on that 😉