RO help

Cath

Hi there,

due to the ridiculously scary high nitrate readings in our tap water here in canterbury (80ppm!!!) we are installing an RO system.

I understand thi strips the water of every mineral and I also understand that there are certain minerals the fish will need. So my question is what products do I need to get to restore the correct minerals/chemistry to the water.
It is a heavily planted tropical freshwater tank. (see pic)
Thanks in advance...I hope someone sees this 😉

Cheers

IMG_3286.jpg

I know it does - by a long shot. The council came out and did their own tests - waiting for the results, as they don't believe my test results - who knows, I find it unbelievable too.
They say their last test came in at 9.6ppm. They say that 10ppm is safe however I know from research I have read that in actual fact anything over .87ppm puts us at risk of colorectal cancer.
It is very scary and stressful and to say I am angry is a gross understatement.
The only reason I discovered this is because I could not get my tank nitrates below 40ppm despite heavy planting. Finally, not even suspecting this would be the cause, I tested the tap water and nearly had a fit.
In the mean time I need to know about this RO filtration and what I will have to add to it to make it safe for plants and fish!

OK Just heard back. The council test came back at 42ppm +5

This is actually in line with my test as I probably read the red colour a little higher than I should have - is hard to tell the difference.
Anyhow it is still unacceptable in my book. Apparently the NZ 'acceptable' level has crept up to 50ppm, something I find hard to believe and completely utterly unacceptable.