Fish advice please

Shannonlouise

I purchased a second hand tank over the weekend and it came with fish. I have kept tropical fish before but not for about 5 years. I am in no way an expert and I like to research my fish well. The tank I have purchased has a real mish-mash of fish, some of which I have never kept before.

I have 3 flying fox fish in the tank. They are quite aggressive and all research that I have done suggests that this is common, especially as they get older. I am moving them on but I know they are great at eating algae, particularly the black fluffy algae that other fish tend to leave alone. Is there any other species of fish that will eat this algae and is suitable for a community tank set up?

• 2 weeks later...

Are they the true algae eaters or the false ones? The true ones only eat algae in their younger years but lose a taste for it as they age. A good thing you plan to rehome them.

I suggest ancistrus (commonly called bristlenoses. Make sure someone doesn't sell you a plecostomus by claiming it is a bristlenose!) as good algae nibblers but, like all fish, they don't always like all types of algae. Personally I have never found any fish that liked the black fluffy algae.