Daltons Aquatic Dirt

fishgirl53

I have not used these products but would like to clarify which product you mean. Do you mean Dalton's Aquatic Mix? Your subject heading refers to aquatic dirt then you ask about compost but the Aquatic Mix is clay and sand. My dad, a gardener, would say there is a big difference between compost and dirt - but I can't remember what the difference was :smiley_wink_ani: .
A quick look at Dalton products show they have an Aquatic Mix and they also have a compost (not aquatic as far as I can tell). Since the Aquatic Mix is a mixture of clay and sand I see no reason why you couldn't put sand on top of it but the two will not stay separate and, over time, will all mix together. If you have fish that like to snuffle about in the substrate it will mix up even faster!

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a bit old now, but I have used aquatic mix and it seemed to work well. My new tank will be using a mixture of garden soil and aquatic mix, just to see how it goes. capped with about 3 - 4cm of Daltons propagating sand

Tried organic potting mix once but the tank didn't work very well.