Reverse Osmosis Water

kiwis

I'm in Auckland and researching my first RO kit. Given I'm on Auckland City mains water supply. What would I need in my RO kit? 3 stage 4 tage, 5 stage etc... I've seen a cheap one online but been told it wouldn't be worth it given it's 3 stages. 

No idea if Auckland use Chloramines either... assume they do.

You ideally want 1-2 pre filters, a reverse Osmosis unit followed by De-ionising unit. 

You can get really cheap units with all of that but not all De-ionising resins are the same. Most stock standard ones sold in NZ are just a mixed bed resin but not designed specifically for NZ water. What i have found is NZ water is extremely high in silicate which will get through a De-ionising cartridge faster than other things and being silicate you wont pick it up with a TDS meter. 

Personally I have got De-ionising resins from america for my unit but its extremely expensive - it really just depends on your budget. A basic unit is still going to better than no unit. 

It will be fine, and if you decided to upgrade in the future you can always by individual filter housings and add on to it. For someone starting out that's a great way to do it without making huge up front financial commitments. 

I Run two DI Membranes on my unit now each membrane cost around $90 NZD each plus housings on top of that. Silicates can feed algae in a tank so if you are finding after 6-12 months you cant seem to get on top of the algae then i would be looking at doing something similar and adding a couple of DI membranes to what you have. Some sponges also feed on silicates so some people hit it lucky and have a sponge explosion in their tank that helps absorb the silicates.