Heater problem

BikBok

Strange issue with my heater. 

I recently had a whitespot outbreak on my cardinals alone.. no other fish were affected so i treated with salt and heat and the tank is now clear. 

I want to bring the temp back down to a more comfortable 26oC but am having so much trouble! 

I have an eheim which i believe was correctly calibrated but it seems no matter how much i turn it down it keeps heating to around 29.5 - 30.5.

Its not jammed as the light Is cycling on and off. 

Currently i have now turned it down to below 25 on the dial and the light just clicked off at 29.5.

It was 30.5  to a max 31 during treatment but i wanted to reduce slowly and have been turning down 1 degree at a time but water still heats to 29.5+.

Any ideas What is going on?  

No Im not relying on the heater dial temp.. I have a digital thermometer which is fairly accurate but will try another one just in case, 

This morning the digital thermometer was reading 28.8oC which is an improvement, I had turned down the heater to around 24 last night. Clearly its not calibrated anymore but I would have thought turning it down from 31 to 24 over several days would have shown more of a drop !   

Hi the eheim heater is turning on and off according to the light  . The tank was 26 and stable before the white spot ... turned the heater up and now trying to get temp back down again.  

Digital thermometer is accurate.

Room temp is never over 22 as i can't stand it too warm myself. 

Will keep trying. . But might just leave it off for a while !

If the heater lamp was always on then i would suspect the thermostat has become stuck but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Have managed to get temp down to 28.3.  Just dont want to stress fish out with warmer than necessary for too long.  Had no losses from white spot so im happy about that. 

Could always take the heater out and try it in a bucket of water in the garage or somewhere.  Leave it on for a few hours set to 26C and then take a reading with the thermometer.  Use another thermometer for a 2nd reading just in case. This way it removes the environment (house temperature) from the equation and checks the calibration of the heater.   Might narrow the problem down a bit. 

13 hours ago, Colour_genes said:

How big is the tank ? If it's huge, it can take ages for the temps to drop. And maybe try taking the temp in different areas of the tank, just in case it is a water circulation issue?

its not a huge tank. 165L . 
I would have thought that the heater would stay off until the temperature dropped because I kept turning it down.
Either way,  the heater is turned down to 23 now and the water temp is  finally a comfortable 26.5oC ,  Im happy with that.  The thermometer is well away form the heater. 

I can't turn  the calibration ring any futher tho, Its has no movement left in the direction it needs to go!

On 8/17/2018 at 6:00 PM, Adrienne said:

It's good to see you are still keeping fish after all this time :)

Hi Adrienne
We have two 165L tanks, a small  21L with cute tiny chili rasboras and a Quarantine tank which always has a few guppies in it to keep it going. 

Been thinking of getting a couple of female Bettas , would that work in 165L community tank?

There are:  Male guppies, HiFin Platy, Long fin Danios (which I want to die out!) , Pearl Gourami, Whiptail,  Cardinal tetras (They all survived the whitespot :) ) Khulis, and Ottos. and a ramshorn snail ,, oh and an 8 year old rainbow shark ... she just keeps going !