Alternatives to Shrimp

kiwis

So I've read a lot on using a couple of fresh shrimp to kick start the nitrogen cycle. Unfortunately where I am, most shrimp is precooked and frozen or at least precooked. 

Can I use something like fresh raw fish something like Snapper? if so how much would I use?

Yea you can use any raw product - Snapper would be fine. You just need enough to start generating ammonia as it deteriorates, I would also recommend putting what ever you use in to some form of mesh bag or stocking etc so it can easily be removed as it breaks down. 

Shouldn't matter if it is raw, cooked or frozen, once it starts to rot the ammonia will start to build up. You are not introducing bacteria with the "shrimp" as its naturally in the air - you are introducing food for it. 

Instead of going on how much, get a measuring kit (API Master test kit or similar) as you will need this to know if the tank is cycling.

Throw in a couple of prawns or fish pieces and use the kit to measure how much ammonia is in the water - you want up to 4ppm.  If after a few days of adding the shrimp or fish pieces etc there is not enough ammonia then throw in another bit, too much take some out and do a small water change.   Over 4ppm and the cycle may stall because the excess ammonia will kill off the bacteria.  Continue until the nitrites show then continue until both the nitrites and the ammonia go from 2ppm to 0 within 24hrs and you have nitrates showing.  Water change then stock the tank with fish.

The kit will show you how much to add and how long things are taking - anything else is just blind guess work.   An alternative to using rotting fish is to use bottled ammonia from the supermarket (even cloudy ammonia works).  Takes some of the guess work out of it.

By the way, don't forget to use use water without chlorine or at least add prime when doing a cycle.

• 3 weeks later...