Ridding this unwanted plant

HBSterbai

Hi everyone. The plant that is pictured floating on the surface has become a bit of a nuisance. I haven't intentionally introduced it. It must have piggybacked in on another plant. Anyway, does anyone know what it is called or if there is a way to get rid of it other than physically scooping out every last specimen. 

https://imgur.com/a/5glXIAm

Duckweed.  Tomorrow the numbers would have doubled, and the next day doubled again.....   Some fish like gold fish eat it but yup removing every last bit is the only way to go.   It doesn't like too much surface movement so the return aimed at the surface etc will help but removing is the only sure way (every bit as even 1 leaf will mean it returns with a vengeance).

Hey maxxi1. Thanks for the post. Unfortunately my filter doesn't seem to produce enough surface agitation to melt it, as the duckweed is doing quite well. I think I'll have to go with Shilo's method of removing it by hand.

Hi Caryl. Thanks for your response. I feel a little foolish, I completely overlooked the option of adding an air pump to increase the surface agitation. It's a 160 L tank. How powerful an air pump would you think necessary. The sound generated by air pumps used to bother me a little. I suppose as a temporary measure it won't matter though.

No need to feel foolish, we often miss what to someone else may be an obvious alternative.

If you belong to the local club I am sure someone will have a spare pump lying about you could borrow.

I couldn't specify a size but am sure a small one would suffice, especially if you scooped as much duckweed out as you could by hand.

Noise from a pump can be affected by a number of factors, some easy to check are.

1. Make sure the diaphragms are in good condition with no splits.

2. Make sure the pump is sitting on a solid surface (a thin, cheap desktop will vibrate more than a solid oak one for instance, so will be a lot noisier).

3.Sit the pump on a towel, or sponge, to reduce vibration noise.

4. If you can, suspend the pump on a bit of string, so it isn't touching anything. Some pumps have a wee loop at the end you can tie the string to.