Nosy As Overflow

kiwis

So I've recently got a Aqua One Mini Reef system (120L), link at the bottom. The system seems to work very well however the overflow drain is ridiculously noisy. Like I can hear falling water right now in another room.

The water flows through into the weir and down into the drain as per this picture (1 is down, 4 is return). It's falling into the sump and I believe this is where the noise is coming from. The sump is filled to the specified level.

Can I please have some advise on how to quieten this system.

.plumb.png.f73f70a57bdd57b4a35b1ddd503c93ad.png

http://www.aquaone.com.au/2018-02-20-00-40-42/aquariums-3/minireef/item/3381-53419wh

Not experienced with commercial systems (only diy ones), but when quietening down overflows the best way to think of it is that the air causes the noise and not the water.   You will only get noise where the water interacts with air so track down where the air is and you can make it quieter.  

First thing to look at is there should be a small hole in the top of tube 1.  If it is too small then the siphon won't restart but if too big it sucks in too much air and creates noise, there might be a way of adjusting it?.

Secondly look where pipe 3 enters the sump.  The end of the tube should be below the water line of the sump.  If it is above then of course it will splash like a waterfall.  Could be something simple as not a high enough water level in the sump, or you might be able to extend the tube down further.

EDIT:

Just had a look at the instruction manual for that system thinking that a major manufacturer couldn't be stupid enough to have the down pipe to short in the sump, but YUP......  Page 4 of the manual shows the pipe in the filter sock ending quite distance above the divide that the water flows over.  Find another short section of pvc pipe or large diameter hose and extend it down, doesn't matter if its only an inch above the bottom of the sock but you want it under the water.