Help please fish not eating for a week

ghostknife

Needing advise or help 

My friend has an eight foot tank set up for about 6 months now. All was ok and about 2 weeks ago he added a large clown knife  
Tank has  
Clown knife 
Arowana
Oscars 
Plecos 

Put for the last week the fish haven't eaten  he's tried liver.  Food for the arowana  hes tried  garlic  even peas tonight  they get them in there month and spit them out 

He does gravel cleans every week 
Has good filters  
He's had the water checked and nitrates where high 

What else can he do

I have never kept large fish so have no personal experience but it seems the addition of the clown has upset the balance. Are the various fish now all too scared of the others to go out to eat? Did he rearrange the decor before adding the other fish? This is often done to other species to make sure all have a level playing field when it comes to sorting territory.

Is it all the fish who have stopped eating?

If the nitrates were high, what he he done to lower them?

I very much agree with Caryl in that adding other fish has upset the tank balance.  What size is the clown knife compared to the other fish? Generally clown knife and oscar's do not make the best tank mates.  If nitrates are high then either too much is being fed or the current filters are not coping with the bioload being placed on them.