Goldfish is broken

Caryl

I have caught this fish out of my pond as it is not well. It is constanntly arched and spends most of its time motionless on the surface, looking dead - or broken as my grandson informed me. It appears to have a small ulcer, or damage plus a bit of blood at the gill base. When it swims, it does so correctly, for a very short distance then plays dead again. Not just a swim bladder problem.

Any recommendations for treatment please? 

Sick fish 1.jpg

That is not blood or a fine worm in the gill, it is a bit of skin plus a little colour as the fish has a few reddish/orange spots in places as part of its colouring. I just dropped a bit of flake in (not too much as it was semi-hibernating in the cold pond) and it ate it.

Didn't think of that as a possibility. There are birds around but not noticed a kingfisher in particular, mostly blackbirds, starlings, a few fantails and a bellbird (lots more birds since the neighbour with 5 cats moved out!). Most of the fish are in semi hibernation and unseen under plants or the deck overhangs, so protected from bird attacks, but they do occasionally swim out and about at this time of year. We will never know as it was given a burial under a tree in the neighbouring reserve.

One less fish to catch when we empty the pond to repair it and line it with liquid rubber (thanks to EQC payout).