Tank light flickering off and on

Benjansss

What type of light is it?  If it is a fluorescent tube then as livingart said it would be the starter (a stubby white cylinder that is plugged into the housing).     Turn of power, twist it out and take to an electrical supplier or hardware store for a replacement.  https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/hpm-fluorescent-starter-4-to-65-watt-white/p/103019  

Those 2 round "knobs" to the right of the middle tube and the one to the left are the starters.  Change those and she'll be right again.    The middle tube looks like it is close to needing to be replaced as well (has dark patches near the ends), if they are all the same age and you have plants in the tank then it would be worth replacing all 3 tubes.

That looks like the Aqua One tank.  The lights become loose.  Take the cover off, lights out, give them a wipe down and put them back in firmly.  They also require replacing every 9 months if you want plants to grow.  Give the cover a good wipe down as well on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

They are available online from NZ fish stores for example: http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/product/aqua-one-tropical-led-t8-light-tube/

Personally I wouldn't buy the tubes online - risk of courier damage is too much.  But your LFS would have a good selection.  Just take one of each size old ones in or measure the length so you know what size.  If you know what wattage the old tubes are you can use this as well as certain watts are normally a certain size.  Then you have to decide what spectrum to get (ie for plants, for display, marine etc).

If you don't have a LFS then Bunnings & Mitre 10 sell them, they are just not aquarium specific so won't have the colour spectrum for ultimate plant growth.  Get Cool White not Warm.   This is also a much cheaper option but won't give you the plant growth or display the fish colours as well as a specific one from a LFS.

There are 2 types of tubes: T8 and T5.  You will know which one your cover takes since T5 has a much smaller diameter then a T8.

Is that an Aquastyle 850 tank?  Looks the same as mine.  If so, you can either buy Aqua One or Hagen Power Glo tubes for the two longer tubes, but the shorter one is an odd size and only available from Aqua One.  Anywhere that sells the tanks should supply the bulbs, as Shilo said Hollywood Fish Farm sells them online, there's also http://www.aquaone.petmart.co.nz/ which is where I got mine about a year and a half ago.  Cheapest price I could find, their service was good and the bulbs were very well packaged in a sturdy cardboard tube.  ETA: And the shipping was free!

Edited by nays

23 hours ago, nays said:

Is that an Aquastyle 850 tank?  Looks the same as mine.  If so, you can either buy Aqua One or Hagen Power Glo tubes for the two longer tubes, but the shorter one is an odd size and only available from Aqua One.  Anywhere that sells the tanks should supply the bulbs, as Shilo said Hollywood Fish Farm sells them online, there's also http://www.aquaone.petmart.co.nz/ which is where I got mine about a year and a half ago.  Cheapest price I could find, their service was good and the bulbs were very well packaged in a sturdy cardboard tube.  ETA: And the shipping was free!

I asked a similar question but haven't gotten an answer.  I am sure you are correct as it looks exactly the same as my 850 Aquaone.