Greetings from North Auckland!

Pania

Hello, my name is Pania and I’m a total newbie. I did keep some fish, shrimps and hermit crabs etc from a local beach, they were very entertaining!

I had them for quite a while till we had a power cut and lost almost everything so let the remaining go. 

I’m pretty keen on Betta but need to find out if my setup is suitable. 

Cheers, Pania 

3 hours ago, alanmin4304 said:

Tell us about your set up and we can try to help.

Sure, its a 20ltr which i started three weeks ago. Sand substrate and lightly planted. I just bought what i thought looked nice and i should have taken a picture of the names : )

My main concern is the ph which is at 8.4 out of the tap and left for three days and in the tank. I bought the api master kit. 

I have my heart set on Betta but I don’t want to kill them.

Bettas prefer neutral to slightly acid conditions but can tolerate higher pH provided it is stable. Adding chemicals to lower the pH usually ends in it fluctuating all over the place. I would suggest you really take your time getting the fish used to the new water and leave it as is. Put the fish and water in to a container and slowly add tank water until it is virtually all tank water, then add the fish to the tank

We’ll I got a pretty bronze hm Betta and did as you said. I trickled water in over a couple of hours then released him. He seems very happy! I did get a plain mollie which I put in first which he seems to ignore for now. I’ll keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help and fingers crossed!

Pania : )