Fish tower

Jaide

Has anyone built one?  An interted tank above existing tank so fish can swim up above main tank - like a skyrise for fish.

I made one over Summer and the fish love it, but the water level keeps dropping and I don't know why. 

I'd never heard of a fish tower and googled it - so cool!  Is yours in a pond or an aquarium?  I'd love to see a pic. 

Look at pictures online, most of them seem to have a little airspace at the top so it might just be a normal thing?  I found this page explaining the hows and whys and it said that the vacuum created can cause water to vaporise and dissolved gases to precipitate, lowering the water level slightly: http://www.nettally.com/palmk/FishHiRise.html

Otherwise if the water is actually draining out, I would suggest your tower isn't completely airtight, maybe a very slow 'leak'?

Many thanks for your help Nays, that's an excellent link and told me what I need to know and what you said is correct - there is air leaking out and I suspect it's at the top of the inverted tank because as the water drops from this tank and the lower tank rises, it stops when the leak is underwater of the lower tank.  That's my guess as to what is happening anyway.    I'm going to have to remove the inverted tank and reseal it. 

To answer your question, it's in an aquarium.  My angelfish just love it and a couple have laid eggs in it a few times :)