Wonder why my tank dropped 1cm on one end

Zimbaliza

Had a bit of a shock a couple of weeks ago...

my 750 Litre Tank, dropped about 1 cm, in one corner....I reduced the volume, to say 500 litres...

Moved fish/weed/logs etc, to bath, spare tanks, I had to, remove the plastic shell... which kinda cracked and split in the process... to uncover the horror

from what I can see, I'm guessing it was in a flood of some kinda from the previous owner.... still, pretty shocked, that it's held up for 2 years like that...

Anyway, I'm now in the process of making my first base... looking at using fence posts with bolts/screws etc? do I need to go too overboard?

tanks an odd shape, (kinda like a coffin curved on both sides) tank is acrylic, so probably helps alot with the weight.

1800x600  at the middle curving down to 400 at the ends, is 880 deep

-Chris

tank1base.jpg

Depends if you want the stand to follow the curve of the tank front or not.  Following the curve will look good but be much harder to do.  Building the stand as a rectangle is the easiest way.    You don't need to go overboard but remember 850-900kg  need to be supported.  Reckon it can be done with 2 by 4's but double up them at the corners and in the middle supports.  When planning it out try to make sure the weight is supported by the wood and not any nails, bolts or screws etc and put some angled or horizontal wood between any verticals in the back and side to remove any risk of the stand collapsing sideways.

was all MDF,  all held together with just staples... I've had the tank for 2 years now (second hand), was a little shocked/amazed that the whole thing didn't collapse, all of the MDF was bent...

Still working on the tank, removing all the scratches... (Acrylic tank) using sand paper/meguiars plastx, is taking a bit to get it clear, drill/buffing wheel didn't seem to work... but el cheapo bunnings sponges, seem to be working just need ALOT of them..... should have that finished tonight... then... rinsing/cleaning it ugh! tanks 88cm deep... and has limited access inside... 2x 30cm-40cm access holes

Couple of deaths in the temp tanks :-/, almost lost them all, FX6 was hooked upto a temp tank.... am guessing it was doing an air purge, blew the outlet pipe out of the tank, and pumped 70+ litres over the lounge carpet.....fish had about 20-30cm of water left in that tank...  :-/

Other tank, my colony of Corys... are loving it.... laying eggs, getting airborne all the time... like the little nuts they are... (30+ of them) 

Anyway, should have the tank really this weekend...