geophagus surinamensis aquaponics

Rob Fey

hi fishy folk , im in the process of building an aquaponics display system going into a restaurant in Christchurch to display the potential of locally grown veggies and hopefully promote more use of alternative farming methods, because of the red tape involved in breeding/growing fish for consumption ive decided to stock my system with pretty inedible fish instead , hopefully catching more attention , in the past i have had lots of success with small scale prototypes (400ltrs) and now im ready to get a bit bigger, the new system will be built around a 600ltr with a combination of vertical towers and solid media grow beds , i have decided to go with an american cichlid community  with the focus being a group of  geophagus surinamensis, so im on the hunt for a group of about 6 and a few tank mates (yet to be decided) i would love some input from the community and some help sourcing fish (as well as some constructive criticism)  , if anyone knows of any thing for sale over the next 2 months please don't hesitate to ask , (attached is a basic design of the system dimensions are not correct its actually a lot bigger)

24116446_10155687018805631_275661804_o.jpg

If you can wait 3-4 months I will have some Geophagus sp. Tapajos "Red Head" (see my avatar) grown big enough.

They are just as hardy and interesting as G. "surinamensis" (actuallly G. altifrons but that's another story) but don't grow as big as altifrons and are more colourful.

I will not ship them but you will be able to buy them from Hollywoods in Auckland if you are keen.