Solvent adhesive for acrylic sump

Danlake

Hi all,

Expanding our filteration setup on our Red Sea Reefer 250 with a small refugium for baby fry.

As the space is rather limited in the cabinet the tank needs to be custom made with size around 30 x 20 x 40 cm (in clear cast acrylic).

Got a quotation for a complete build from a NZ company for 500$ Thought that was rather expensive! so instead I will get the panels pre cut (150$) and do the assembly my self.

I thought the build itself would be the difficult part, but appears getting the acrylic solvent is the hard bit... unable to find any Weld On no. 4 or the stronger one no. 40. Also tried looking for the other brand Scigrip. Noticed Scotch 3M has some products in the market here but not sure if they are suitable for acrylic bonding.

So question is where do you guys get your acrylic solvent for your DIY tank builds? 

Thanks!

Best Regards

Lasse

Thanks, but as it has to be watertight tank Iam looking for a solvent to melt the acrylic. As far as I know no. 16 is more of a glue type used for rough project or repairs.

Seems odd there is no off the shelf product a available down here.

Best Regards

Lasse

Hi all,

Thanks for replies.

I finally managed to find a local distributor selling an equivalent Australian product similiar to Weld On no.4. You can purchase small 100ml bottles:

https://www.awardplastics.co.nz/shop/Plastic+Fabrication/Adhesives++Cleaners/Solvent+Adhesives/Acribond+105.html

For larger tanks they recommend a stronger adhevise (2 components mixtures), but for small tanks/sump this should be adequate. 

Best Regards

Lasse