Aqua One Clearview Filter Question

MatthewD

Hello, I am putting together a tank for the first time since the 90's (I've been out of the game for a while) and I have purchased a Aqua One Clearview 300,
the first thing I have noticed is that the sponge is thin, I mean it is wafer thin,
here is a photo of one, you can basically see through it and see the activated charcoal behind...

http://www.theanimalshack.co.nz/product/cartridge-carbon-h300-47c-47c/

I was very surprised to see such a thin sponge, its actually a bit confusing because other Aqua One filters seem to have thicker sponges...

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Clear-A618-AquaClear-Foam/dp/B0002563W2/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1507279857&sr=8-21&keywords=aquaclear+70+filter

The other half of the filter is a plastic biogrid which doesn't look that great either, I mean it has way less surface area than a piece of sponge would.

I am wondering if I would be better to just get some thicker sponge and put it in the place of the cartridge, this would mean doing away with the activated charcoal
which I don't think I need.

Thanks,
Matt.

Hi Matt.  I have an Aqua One tank with the filter in the hood and I've never used the carbon cartridges that are sold for it.  Supposed to use biorings on the bottom, then the cartridge, then a coarse sponge - I'm using a finer sponge in place of the cartridge.  I would definitely swap the cartridge in yours for a sponge.  The carbon cartridges are unnecessary and a giant rip-off.