Am I stupid or what?.......

Joze

I have a HUGE zebra angelfish in a tank with a couple of bottom feeders. Last night I thought hey, I will get it a mate and have a go at breeding them. Did a bit of reading up and discovered that the tank set at 22C is incorrect. Considering the "she" is extremely active and will not tolerate other species in the tank other than the ones that are in there now, it doesnt appear to affect her being at 6-8 deg lower than recommended.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? :roll:

Joze said...

> ... it doesnt appear to affect her being at 6-8 deg lower than

> recommended.

I'd say 24-26C would be a good temperature for angels. The higher

end for breeding, so maintenance at 22C doesn't suprise me at all.

Many people keep their 'tropical' fish too warm IMHO.

Andrew.

Quite true, and apparently prolonged high temperatures do shorten the life of some cal fish that live in cooler regions naturally.

75degF was (in early days) the "norm" for most fish, but nowadays if you keep them in the "green" bit on the themometer it should be safe, but not always correct for your type of fish, which brings me to this point.

I bought four themometers.

On testing them all in the same tank I found there was a descrepancy of +- 2degC either way on them all, and one was reading 87degF when in fact the temp was 80F.

One.... A glass one with a suction cup had an air lock in the red line, which gave an erronious reading, and in the end I scrapped two of them and bought some from a different source and brand.

I suggest you check the thermometer with a known good one.

I don't use the stick on type as I like to know the temp is stable in all areas of my tanks as I use seperators on occasions.

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

I do not test my tanks, I very rarely check the temperature (all I usually do is put my hand on the tank every night before I go to bed). I feed the fish when I remember but never more than twice a week for adults. Last time I did a water change was when we shifted house a year ago. Ok most of you would cringe at this but my fish are huge and dont die on me, the tanks dont appear to spike and the plants run rampant. Cloudy and dirty water is something that is "not in my backyard". I also very rarely turn off the light, although one side is dark and one is light. There is also very little algae in the tank(ok the fish almost live on it)

For some reason the fish like the no touch, no fiddle approach. My tanks are understocked though, so this makes a huge difference.

However if my tanks did need attention they would get it straight away. I have never been afraid of looking after them, just take a holistic approach. It is an environment after all.

My tank has always been at 22 degs (except in summer when the room temp rockets it up) with no detrimental effects on the fish. I rarely do waterchanges either and only feed the fish a couple of time a week too.

OK to keep the fish in but they don't breed. They need more optimum conditions for that. My tank is also understocked.

The filter (Fluval 404) gets cleaned out about every 3 months if I remember.

The bottom gets siphoned when I do a water change. Come to think of it, I may actually do a water change every 3 months. Either that or I only clean the filter when I do a water change therefore the filter only gets cleaned around every 6 months :lol:

The tank gets topped up when the water level drops the point where the constant noise of trickling water annoys me.

If my cichlids could see this thread, they'd be jump out of the tank and kiss me for changing their water weekly.:) Actually, I kinda doubt they'd survive me even going a month without a water change. Let's see...The nitrates would probably be up to about 200ppm by then.