2000L Tank, four years on.

David R

• 1 month later...

The loaches are in!! I think some of them are a little confused, when I opened the curtains this morning there was a group of about a dozen of the smaller ones swimming around mid-level in the water column schooling with the Lemon Tetras (who are a similar size)! The tank is certainly a lot busier now, the loaches are pretty active already, I was a bit worried they'd vanish into the wood pile and never be seen again but that hasn't happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas the first time I've seen the angels spawn was about four days ago! Since adding the clowns I've been doing ~200L water changes every other day (just opening the valve on the sump drain and putting the hose into the tank to run for 112-15 minutes) and I think maybe that's kicked them into action.

I've had the festivums a few years, around the time I switched from big fish to small fish. TBH their colours are really drab and they've been pretty uninteresting to keep. Not good quality stock I think, there are some beautiful examples of the genus out there.

I see what you mean by the festivum, doesn't have that refined shape like some others I have seen.

Do you follow the Aquarium Co-op Youtube channel? There's a guy on there with an 800 gallon filled with about 100 clown loaches and 200 tiger barbs. It is quite the display. You could attempt something similar with your tank.

Re festivums: I always liked the “plain” silver ones over the colored variants, not sure why. They were relatively common during the time I kept them, in my teens, circa early nineties (not in NZ).  As for body shape, I think they’re just normal for four-year old, well-fed fish.
I currently have 2 young ones, which could be M.mirificus, basing on coloration only.