Is there such a thing as to much filtration?hoplo catfish question.

Leah.C

I posted a while ago about starting up a new tank, however my plans have been forced to change. I initially I wanted to get a 250L-300L tank but I got evicted (landlord wanted to move back in) and I am now living in a very small place (only 11.6 meters squared) I have figured out a way to fit a 150L Tank in but the filter I have is a fluval 406 canister filter that is rated for tanks up to 400L.  Is it ok to use this filter still?

Also I really wanted to get some catfish (not the sucker kind) and thought maybe a Hoplo Catfish might work? are they ok alone or would I need two or more? Is my tank big enough.  I am so confused by what I've read on how big they get. Some websites say they get to 20cm and others say 12cm, and I think there might even be three or four different Catfish called Hoplo Catfish. If these catfish are a big fat no is there any other recommendations?

The tank is 91cm long 38cm wide and 45cm high. I want to grow some plants and will have sand as the substrate. Possible other fish will be some sort of schooling fish like a tetra, a Bristlenose Catfish maybe some corydoras sterbai.   I haven't set the tank up yet its still a work in progress, just doing all my research first :D

Thanks heaps

It isn't too much filtration as much as too strong a flow if a filter is too large for the tank. If the 406 creates too much flow in your 150L there are ways to slow it down (aiming the spray bar to the back or putting some foam or filter wool over the outlet.

Hoplos (and there are different fish known by this common name) like a good flow anyway so helpful for you. As they are a very boisterous fish, extra filtration is required anyway. You can keep 2 or 3 but they prefer to be in groups of 5 or more and I would say 12 - 15cm would be largest (from memory of those I have seen and kept many years ago).

They are great fish with lovely personalities. Fun to breed too as they are bubble nesters. Spawning is triggered by a large drop in the water level then filling up with cooler water.

• 1 month later...