Revitalise the forum

Fruju

Noticed that this forum in general has dropped off considerably in the last couple of years, which is a real shame since there used to be an active community a while back.

How can we generate some more activity on here? There doesn't seem to be many new members asking questions and existing members don't post frequently.

I will make a better post with pics of my stock this week once I get new photos.

But for now I will just list my stock and setups.

I have one 450L tank stocked with:

1x 20cm female cuban

1x 10cm male jaguar cichlid (which my cuban keeps laying eggs with)

1x 15cm texas cichlid (suspected female) who has some real attitude

1x 8cm female convict with some really great colouration

1x P. delhezi bichir 20cm+

1x longfin senegal bichir 20cm+

1x P. palmas palmas bichir 25cm

I also have a 150L growout tank with:

5x peruvian angelfish (hope to breed at some point), got these from Hovmoller

2x younger cuban cichlids of which I hope one is a male so I can pair up my big female - will probably use the entire 450L for the breeding pair, got these 2 from FishyNZ

2x albino tinfoil barbs

Ultimate goal at this stage is to perpetuate the cuban cichlids in the hobby here. I am also keen on getting other less common cichlids more available to hobbyists here.

What are you guys keeping at the moment? List stock and pictures.

IMG_20161227_101126-min.jpg

IMG_20161227_101156-min.jpg

IMG_20161228_221132-min.jpg

IMG_20161228_221257-min.jpg

IMG_20161228_221339-min.jpg

All doing the face book thing now Fruju, but posts just disappear down the page

on the top right corner of each post von here isa linkwhere you can share pics, tank build etc back to face book but it keeps your pics etc in one place.

Heresto more traffis, it actually gets a lot of traffic just not a lot of posters:mailboxhappy:

Nice Tang, livingart. I don't want to stare too long as I might start marine...

3 hours ago, Fruju said:

Ultimate goal at this stage is to perpetuate the cuban cichlids in the hobby here. I am also keen on getting other less common cichlids more available to hobbyists here.

Would be nice if importers can get them in again even once in a while.  Need to increase or improve the gene pool as there are already signs of inbreeding even on first generation offsprings.

12 hours ago, livingart said:

All doing the face book thing now Fruju, but posts just disappear down the page

on the top right corner of each post von here isa linkwhere you can share pics, tank build etc back to face book but it keeps your pics etc in one place.

Heresto more traffis, it actually gets a lot of traffic just not a lot of posters:mailboxhappy:

I understand that facebook might improve aspects of online sharing but it does seem to have come at the expense of posting within the forum. There used to be almost daily activity when myself, DavidR, Henward and others would be posting in a couple of the subforums, but that just doesn't happen now. Need to promote existing members to post more I think. I have appreciated FishyNZ's posts a lot lately.

Nice marine tang. Eventually I'd like to go back to marine, except shift to NZ temperate.

11 hours ago, fishyNZ said:

Nice Tang, livingart. I don't want to stare too long as I might start marine...

Would be nice if importers can get them in again even once in a while.  Need to increase or improve the gene pool as there are already signs of inbreeding even on first generation offsprings.

Yeah that is an issue, but hard to avoid if no new bloodlines come in. I would love to get my hands on some festae again...should not have sold my male.

On 2/02/2017 at 11:49 AM, Fruju said:

What are you keeping camtang?

All I have left is a few guppies, breeding groups of columbian tetras, leopard danio, ruby barbs, cherry barbs, blue mystery snails, brown bristle nose and a few assorted plants.  I lost my hobby time when I started my business.  One day I will pick it all back up again

On 2/2/2017 at 8:55 AM, Fruju said:

I understand that facebook might improve aspects of online sharing but it does seem to have come at the expense of posting within the forum. There used to be almost daily activity when myself, DavidR, Henward and others would be posting in a couple of the subforums, but that just doesn't happen now. Need to promote existing members to post more I think. I have appreciated FishyNZ's posts a lot lately.

I noticed the drop off as well, one problem I find is the new forum format, I really liked it when we could go and see all the new topics that were unread and just go through those, I am not a big fan of the Activity -> Unread Content page.

Lovely marine tanks livingart and Adrienne

27 minutes ago, gligor said:

I noticed the drop off as well, one problem I find is the new forum format, I really liked it when we could go and see all the new topics that were unread and just go through those, I am not a big fan of the Activity -> Unread Content page.

Lovely marine tanks livingart and Adrienne

?  actvity unread content page - what are you referring to please?

23 hours ago, Adrienne said:

?  actvity unread content page - what are you referring to please?

6 hours ago, livingart said:

Does this work for you Gligor?

http://aquariumworld.nz/forums/new-content/

Thanks for your replies, I think this will answer both questions, @livingart that URL takes me to https://aquariumworld.nz/forums/discover/ and @Adrienne the page looks like this:

Unread content.JPG

• 1 month later...

These are some of my guys. I have 3 setups. The 600 litre,the 300, and the 240. Mainly all central American cichlids with a few catfish and swordtails thrown in the mix. All up though I have a jack dempsey pair, a Cuban, convicts, tbars, a rogue blue acara, banjos cats, spotted Rapheal catfish, a Whiptail, and a few plecos. I tend to keep pretty quiet on forums these days whether it's this one or Facebook but would be good to see a few new posts for sure!

20170312_120434.jpg

20170312_120332.jpg

20170226_202444.jpg

20170227_132734.jpg

20160311_155511.jpg

20170307_135219.jpg